Thomas Walker’s Bakewell Tart
Bakewell tarts are a passion and a staple of my repertoire. So easy to do, and always delicious. last variant was pistachio flour and mango jam. do whatever you want! maybe a little rose water in the topping would have been good? Who knows.
•175g plain flour
•100g chilled butter
•cold water to bind
•jam to cover the base jam
•150g caster sugar
•150g ground nuts
•2 eggs beaten
1) rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the water, mixing to form a soft dough. all this nonsense about cold hands are better is rubbish. just be quick. don't knead the dough as that breaks down gluten and makes tough pastry.
2) Leave in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
3) Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6 (180C fan).
4) after rolling out the pastry and filling the pastry case, Line with foil and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for about 15 minutes, then remove the beans and foil and cook for a further five minutes to dry out the base.
5) spread the base of the flan with jam.
6) Melt the butter in a pan, take off the heat and then stir in the sugar. Add ground nuts. Pour into the flan
7) Bake for about 35 minutes. done!